Friday, October 8, 2010

Unplugged TV sets in America



If all the TV sets in America were unplugged, I believe there would be a public outcry from people of all age ranges, cultures, and lifestyles…but especially from children who rely on TV as a main venue for entertainment.
How many of us grew up with “Saturday morning = cartoon time”? I did even though my parents let me watch very little television and movies. As I got older, I began to realize there were much better ways to spend my time – like reading, making music, and being creative. You ask if children could possibly grow up healthier, better educated, and more independent without TV sets… my answer would have to be yes.
Without an entertaining TV set, children would be forced to entertain themselves. Things as simple as inventing a game to play outside, reading a storybook, or drawing/coloring picture are so much more beneficial to a child. Children’s storybooks usually contain a lesson to teach as well as providing a fun English/Reading lesson. Artwork inspires children to use their imagination and be creative. As for playing outside, it’s very obvious…but First Lady Obama is right – eat healthier and exercise often, especially outside.
Many children, preteens, and teens feel they must be defined as what television and movies present as the “normal, cool, popular people.”Peer-pressure at school is already a huge issue in many children’s lives and the additional pressure from a broader, mature view is definitely not a help. I think removing this influence would truly help many young people be more assertive and independent in their way of thinking.
As with anything else, time spent in front of a TV set must be spent in moderation especially when it comes to young children.

1 comment:

  1. Great post!

    I like your detail and examples. Very applicable!

    ReplyDelete