Thursday, October 28, 2010

Course Overload



            Classes, practicing, working, and studying keep me very busy as a freshman at Wright State. I find that I must manage wisely or I might very quickly fall behind in my studies. In general, I guess you could say that I am enjoying my college experience here, but there are times that I must admit I feel a little overwhelmed.
            If I could change one thing at Wright State, it would be the course load for music students.  Beginning freshman year, music students must complete two years of music theory and sight-singing, applied music lessons, instrumental methods classes, choral conducting classes, analytical listening class, and participate in at least one ensemble before their junior year. Most music students only have time for two general education courses per quarter compared to other students who take three or four general education courses for their first two years of college.  
Unfortunately most music classes are only worth one credit hour but students are still expected to be at every class, do all the homework, take weekly practical tests, and get high grades in order to move on to the next level. On top of all this, is the time music students are expected to practice on their instrument. All students are required to practice 1-5 hours a day depending on your instrument and degree. Some music students get so overwhelmed they end up staying in school for an extra year.
I think some of the general education requirements should be waived for music students so that they have the time and energy to pursue their dream.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to agree with you on this one... It doesn't seem like there is enough time in the day to get everything done and get it done well! Out of the few piano majors I know that are excelling in their field, they are cutting way back on the hours which they sleep in order to keep up with the load. It's hard to find time to study a subject throughly and practice piano for at least 5 hours daily. I am not sure how the piano majors do it yet...

    ReplyDelete